Vice President, Head of Stores, Janie and Jack, Crazy8, Gymboree, Gymboree Outlet
The Gymboree Corporation is searching for an experienced, dynamic, inspiring, and business savvy VP, Head of Stores to oversee the Company’s retail fleet of stores including Janie and Jack, Crazy8, Gymboree and Gymboree Outlet brands. This individual will be an exceptional leader and expert in analyzing business performance and metrics. They will play a key role in creating alignment between stores and corporate functions such as design, merchandising, marketing and planning and provides strategic feedback on product, merchandising, and allocation based on field results.
The VP, Head of Stores will be responsible for leading and developing a talented team of Regional Directors in addition to(i) developing and executing business plans and sales goals; (ii) providing ongoing, effective, and inspiring leadership and training to the retail workforce; (iii) establishing brand standards for selling and service to ensure a consistent, brand appropriate experience across locations; (iv) developing tools and systems to monitor metrics and brand consistency; and (v) building and retaining a team of high performing retail professionals, tracking performance, and providing coaching and follow-up as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Lead and inspire a highly passionate, effective, results oriented team of retail professionals.
· Foster a workplace culture that prioritizes results, communication, collaboration, respect, and performance.
· Serve as a role model and ambassador for company values; hold Regional Directors accountable for reinforcing values throughout their day to day activities, decisions and visits.
· Engage in ongoing coaching and feedback, and deliver all performance appraisals and documentation in a timely manner.
· Partner with Human Resources to develop recruitment and retention strategies and training programs; ensure strategies and programs are deployed by Regional Directors.
· Drive succession planning through clear developmental plans, and regular talent planning and review sessions. Support Regional Directors in building a bench of talented, highly motivated leaders for all retail positions.
- Inspire field leadership teams to achieve outstanding results.
· Exhibit a business owner’s mentality and a merchant mindset by continuously evaluating how to maximize sales and minimize inventory liabilities.
- Drive the Omni channel initiative and POS upgrade project to completion.
· Analyze sales productivity, KPI, and business trends. Develop and implement strategies to leverage successes, replicate wins, and minimize the impact of any misses, increase sales, and control expenses.
- Amplify and accelerate the in store branded experience to drive sales and improve conversion.
· Regularly communicate with cross-functional partners about sales performance and metrics, and, as necessary, recommend adjustments needed to achieve goals.
· Continuously assess strengths and weaknesses of each brand to (i) recommend new or improvements to existing sales and service initiatives and (ii) identify training needs.
· Create incentives to drive key business objectives and motivate sales team. Provide recognition for exceptional sales and/or service performance.
· Partner with corporate to execute Omni-channel selling strategy in retail fleet of stores.
· Develop and enforce existing or create new standards and programs on selling culture and customer experience; ensure consistent execution of these standards and programs across the field.
· Utilize CRM data and customer feedback to constantly evolve the retail stores and customer experience to focus on the customer and their changing needs and priorities.
COLLABORATION AND INFLUENCE
· Partner with design, merchant, and planning teams to ensure product and store allocations represent a cohesive strategy, meet customer demands, and deliver desired brand experience across markets.
· Partner with repair and maintenance, real estate, and finance in store design, identifying opportunities that will enhance customer experience, storage, visual merchandising, and operational efficiencies. Serve as primary point of in-field contact for store openings, closings, and remodels.
· Partner with Visual Merchandising and Marketing to ensure visual merchandising and signage standards are achieved and maintained. Analyze market and selling trends and provide recommendations, as necessary, to refine merchandising strategy in order to maximize revenue potential.
· Partner closely with Store Support in the execution of all operational policies and procedures.
· Ensure successful and timely implementation of all corporate initiatives within the field.
· Lead regular leadership meetings and calls to communicate corporate directives that impact business strategy.
· Possess working knowledge of regulatory and compliance issues impacting retail operations and ensure appropriate systems and policies are in place.
· Work closely with Human Resources and Legal department to ensure stores are operating in compliance with all relevant local, state and federal laws.
· Ensure Regional Directors and field leadership teams are acting with integrity, ensuring that Gymboree is an ethical workplace and creating a positive work environment for all employees.
REQUIRED SKILLS, COMPETIENCES, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
· Strong analytical skills; able to utilize data to effectively read and respond to the business to drive results and delight the customer
· Demonstrates strong leadership skills; able to build and cultivate a collaborative and highly engaged team
· Resourceful; able to find solutions using the resources at their disposal and effectively advocates for additional resources when necessary
· Maintains the professional presence, maturity, accountability and tact necessary to earn respect and influence teams and outcomes
· Proactively identifies areas of opportunity and/or change, recommends future actions, and coordinates implementation among various constituencies and across geographies
· Understands how to set priorities in complex situations and manage time despite unexpected interruptions
· Communicates and presents effectively before varied audiences (e.g., CEO, CRO, CFO, store teams, third parties)
· Proven ability to consistently meet/exceed sales goals and KPI’s
· Able to coach, inspire, and lead by example
· Strong organizational skills and exacting attention to detail
· Optimistic; able to see the possibilities and opportunities in every situation; solution focused
· Able to work a flexible schedule consistent with needs of the business; will require work on weekends, evenings, and holidays
· Travel up to 70% (overnight stays will be required)
· Minimum 12 years of multi-unit retail management experience. Children’s apparel highly preferred, but not required.
· Minimum 3+ years serving in a Head of Stores or Director of Sales position.